Tuesday 22 December 2015

WHOSE STAR WARS?

Posted 22nd December 2015:

It’s here, it's with us.  And a strange calm settles over the world of Star Wars super fandom. The people who I thought would feel most strongly, who would rave at its brilliance or spit bile at its loathsomeness, don’t know what to make of it.  It’s not that they don’t like it, they do.  It’s not that it doesn’t live up to their expectations.  Because they didn’t really know what to expect.  They just don’t know. 
I booked tickets months ago to take the kids on the first Saturday.  It seemed like a good idea given the tidal wave of hype that was gathering pace.  But they finished school on the Thursday before, and were both invited to see it with friends.  The Youngest (10) accepted, the Eldest (14) declined.  He wanted to see it first with me.  Because after all, Star Wars belonged to Dad.

The Youngest’s enthusiasm knew no bounds when he somersaulted into the house after the show and kicked off an athletic light sabre battle with an invisible opponent that continued most of the evening.  It was all he could do, because we wouldn’t let him speak.

Saturday came, and he was desperate to see it again.  We didn’t know why, because we wouldn’t let him speak.  So he, the Eldest and I went to see Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Three quarters of the way through, the Youngest leaned over to me inexplicably and whispered in my ear “I’m sorry Dad”.  A minute later Han Solo was gone.  But this time for keeps.

So we emerged into the dark side of December, dazed and still very much in a galaxy far, far away.  There was non of the usual post-film analysis and rating.  The Eldest and I were silent.  The Youngest began a tirade of light sabre assaults around the carpark.  “How was it?”, asked my wife when we got home?  “I don’t know,” I said.  And I still don’t.  

But what I think I do know, is that Star Wars has gone.  It’s gone to the Youngest.  And he deserves it.


More thoughts on Star Wars: Space Shoddity  Han Solo  Pantone 291


@jesoverthinksit



No comments:

Post a Comment